It's almost that time of year, the time of year people go out to the stores of Virginia and buy school supplies, clothes, hurricane preparedness supplies, and ect. TAX FREE! Let me repeat: TAX FREE WEEKEND IS ALMOST HERE!! *hip hop horn goes off*
The 3-day holiday is the first weekend in August, spanning from Friday, Aug. 2 through Sunday, Aug. 4 this year. Shoppers all over Hampton Roads can save money by not having to pay sales tax on certain items purchased. You can even take advantage of these deals online.
What items are eligible?
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item